Friday, April 6, 2018
Crib Quilt from 2" strips and squares
The finished quilt before washing. 39 x 57 inches
Perfect size for a crib quilt.
After washing and being sent to the dryer it's down to 36" x 53.5".
This is what I started out with, but those lighter blocks were not looking so good in the mix.
I pulled them out and went with just the darker royal blues, purples and bright greens. A few black ones made the cut too.
I backed it with the blue in the picture above, and chose a variegated thread which I've had for a long time .... waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. Away I went fmq'ing with a loose, loopy meander with a few hearts thrown in.
I really enjoyed making this one; my favourite colours and no triangles to worry about.
A final note to self: Always take the time to measure in the centre of your quilt's width and height for your border strips. it really does make a huge difference in avoiding those irritating wavy borders.
I'm super happy with these borders, flat as a pancake :))
Linking up with:
Sunday, March 25, 2018
Second Leaders and Enders Quilt
My second quilt with 3" 9-patches from my stash of 1.5" squares. A baby quilt finishing at 36" x 48" after shrinkage.
I really like the the first one first one much better. This one will be a charity quilt, hopefully I'll have 3 or 4 to donate to Project Linus this year.
This was a true struggle to use only what I had on hand, even the white background is from quite a mixture in my stash and scraps.
The quilting was all done by hand except for where the background meets the border.
For batting I made some "FrankenBatting" from large batting scraps, but instead of zigzagging them together I used the fusible batting tape. This was much quicker than zigzagging and the end result was great. The only drawback I found with the fusible tape is that it's hard to push the needle through when hand quilting.
On the design wall:
I'm hooked on Amanda's scrappy log cabins
as well as her cute scrappy churn dashes:
Saturday, January 27, 2018
2 Finished Tops
Churndash Family and Leaders and Enders #2
Before anything else, I want to give two thumbs up to two amazing local quilts shops here is South Western Ontario. Yestderday was a beautiful sunny day , and best of all a day off work, so what better to do than check out some quilt shops.
The Quilt Corner in Simcoe was the first, one of my favourites. Lots of selection, precuts, patterns ...you name it they have it! And ....the prices and service will have you planning your next trip back as you head home.
Next up was Quilt Junction in Waterford, aptly named as it's located in an old train station. Also a wonderful find, lots of eye candy to tempt and inspire you! An added attraction to get you to make the drive to Waterford is the large Antique Market across the street.
Back to the Finishes:The first block for this one was a 12' orphan block made about a year ago, white and light blue. It wasn't inspiring me to make any more... until browsing through Lori Holt's "Farmgirl Vintage".
I was following her picnic setting in which she uses 6 and 12 " blocks for a 66 x 66" quilt. A rectangular quilt closer to 50 x 70 was what I really preferred so I changed it up a bit and also mixed in 2-18" blocks and 2 elongated 6x12 churndash blocks.
This next one was actually my first finish of the year, and the churndash, the second. Here she is hiding behind the Churndash Family.
A leaders and enders project that started out like this:
but ended up as:
I have lots more of these little 9-patches from my 1.5 inch scraps ...but now I've also started making plus squares from my 2 inch scraps .
Saturday, December 23, 2017
Tula Pink Sampler Finished !!
I'm so excited to have this one done and hanging on the wall in time for Christmas. My Christmas present to me :)
It was started on in March and finished yesterday morning before work (Dec. 22).
It wasn't too hard quilting on my machine, just a lot of threads to bury!
My sewing room is downstairs, but when quilting a larger top I prefer to do it up here on the main floor on this extra table.
When I'm not sewing in there, the sides of the table are down and it's just a little, old antique table in front of the window.
I have a large foam base around the machine to keep the quilt level with the machine, less pull from the weight of the quilt that way. My husband just "carved" it out of a big styrofoam slab and covered it with heavy duty plastic. It's not pretty, but it works like a charm!!
Friday, November 17, 2017
I've been thinking about making this since last Christmas when my future daughter-in-law asked if I could make them one. After scouring through Pinterest I found this one with pretty clear instructions here
I am happy with the finished product, only wish I had done all the numbers in white. The red check doesn't stand out nearly as clearly as I thought.
Gifted and ready for it's first Christmas.
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
GRIDLOCK (48% )
As usual, I'm lagging way behind the current craze. Better late than never. Last March I injured my shoulder and was laid up for a few weeks. Feeling sorry for myself, I splurged on a Tula Pink book. I couldn't sew, but I could at least look and dream of a future project.
I was planning on doing all 100 blocks, 48 made and plan changed. It will make a great lap size quilt. This one I will machine quilt. I'm thinking of simple stitch in the ditch for the blocks, and a denser fmq of some sort in the borders and sashing.
Right now I do have a large quilt on which I'm doing all hand quilting , about halfway done.
The blue and gray blocks are from a BOM last year (Sugar Block Club) from StitcheryDickoryDock and the reds are from Tula Pink's book (except for the corner block, just a large hst). I just enlarged the Tula Pink blocks from 6" to 12".